Monday 21 December 2020

Living with lion and leopard in Gir National Park/Wildlife Sanctuary, Saurashtra, Gujarat

 Living with lion and leopard in Gir National Park/Wildlife Sanctuary, Saurashtra, Gujarat

Dr SP Sinha


My experiences with lions of Gir

               My association with Gir national park began in 1978 when I first arrived there with my colleagues as a common visitor and saw a pride of lions resting. They were totally indifferent to the presence of humans around them. There is no doubt it was a fascinating experience to see lions in the wild. Their magnificence stirred in me an ardent desire to work on the lion in detail and I decided to do my doctorate on the Gir lions. Thereafter, as of my resolve, from 1980 to 1985 I became a part of the Gir sanctuary and its lions. When tracking lions during the day and then at nights in those years of my research I had a clear impression that by disposition lions were very gentle and disciplined animals. A lion never attacks humans unless pestered and provoked but even then unless the culprit is within a striking distance only then a lion may attack in self defense. In some cases, sudden confrontation with the animals might precipitate fatal accidents.

I used to track three prides on a regular basis. I experienced that if a pride or an individual lion are being followed at a safe distance—for the lions that is—for a long stretch of time, the lions get used to the person and tolerate the presence so long as the approach is discreet. During the night time the big cats are very active, therefore, while tracking them at night exercising adequate caution is necessary.  One has to be extra cautious during the mating period of lions to avoid an attack, which often can prove fatal. 

During my research period, I never at any time felt uneasiness in proximity of lions but I was more careful in areas with the known presence of leopards; I was apprehensive while following lions along river courses during the day or the nights since crocodiles as well as leopards were always active in such riparian areas.

 

T

  Nomadic Male lion Tipu monitored regularly in Gir NP





                                             lionesses of study pride and 



                                        One of the male member of Lion pride

                                                

                                 One of the Male member of study pride of Lion






                                       Myself with Lone nomadic male lion Tipu

                       
    

                               My field guide Abla Jaffer an excellent wild lifer


Inside the Gir NP maldharies rear the livestock and sell the milk


                                            Maldhari hut and its entrance 
                                        Maldharies in their traditional dress

Maldhari  Charan family 


                                Tulsishyam temple inside Gir Wildlife Sanctuary

                                        Banej Temple inside Gir WlS


                                        Kankai Maata temple inside Gir NP


On the occasion of completion of 50 years of Gir National Park, facilitation ceremony 

No comments: